Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Chicken Masala & "Vivah"

Back when I first came to the U.S., I didn't have much cooking experience. I managed the day-to-day fare, but when it came to feeding guests, I had to rely on one of the two recipe books that I had brought from home. Therefore, whenever we were invited to a dinner-party, I bugged the hostess to give me the recipe for whatever dish I took a liking to.  At one such get-together, I thought the chicken curry was delicious and begged the hostess (a Mrs. Guha) to give me the recipe. She seemed rather reluctant but gave it to me anyway. I wondered if she might have left out a secret ingredient or two. Nevertheless, I tried making it and it turned out great. The recipe below serves 4.

This week's movie is "Vivah."  This movie is from the makers of hits like "Maine Pyar Kiya" and "Hum Aapke Hai Kaun."  Their movies specialize in stories that can be narrated in four lines but are still presented in a way to appeal to the audience.  The film was touted as a journey from engagement to marriage.  Not only do Shahid and Amrita fit perfectly into their roles, Seema Biswas excels as the jealous chachi displeased with the fact that her niece is better looking than her daughter and that her husband is going all out in spending for her impending vivah.  The songs are pleasing and it is overall a thoroughly entertaining film.

Ingredients
1 lb cut up chicken
1 tablespoon oil + 1 teaspoon oil
1 medium onion
1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
1 cup beaten yogurt
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1 tablespoon khus khus (poppy seeds)
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 bay leaf
Salt to taste
Cilantro for garnish

Method
  1. Slice the onion.  Heat the teaspoon of oil and add the sliced onions.  Keep stirring over medium heat, until the onions are light brown in color.
  2. Add the khus khus and saute for 1-2 minutes.
  3. Cool and grind to a paste.
  4. Mix the paste with ginger-garlic, yogurt, salt, coriander powder, turmeric and chili powders, and garam masala.
  5. Add the cut chicken to this.  Keep aside for 30 minutes.
  6. Heat the remaining oil on high heat.  When hot, add the cumin seeds and bay leaf.
  7. Add the chicken and stir on high heat for 1-2 minutes.
  8. Reduce the heat and cook covered until done.
  9. Garnish with cilantro and serve hot with rice.

No comments: